Public libraries may now apply for a 2012 Summer Reading mini-grant! The Colorado State Library will award a limited number of mini-grants of $200 each for public libraries to support, enhance, and promote the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) statewide summer reading themes in their local communities.
The themes for 2012 are “Dream Big – READ!” (children), “Own the Night” (teens), and “Between the Covers” (adults). Priority will be given to libraries below 10,000 Legal Service Area population and libraries in non-metro locations. Per IMLS guidelines, the mini-grant funding should be spent on books.
To be eligible for a 2012 mini-grant, libraries must have submitted the 2011 summer reading report AND be registered for the 2012 statewide summer reading themes.
DEADLINE: Friday, January 31, 2012
Beth Crist, 303-866-6908
Youth & Family Services Consultant, Colorado State Library
The Project Management webinars with Pat Wagner are getting full, so please REGISTER NOW for all 3 sessions!
- Project Management Foundations: What’s the Big Fuss?
January 18, 12:00-1:00pm
- Project Management Case Studies: Who Forgot to Measure the Bookcases?
February 1, 12:00-1:00pm
- Proof of Concept: Applying Project Management Principles to Your Workplace
February 15, 12:00-1:00pm
This three-part series is for anyone who works in a library at any level. Although it is meant as an introduction, experienced project managers might appreciate the refresher and discover new ways to present information to their teams. We encourage you to attend all three, but we welcome you attend whichever programs you can.
The Libnet email list is moving from a Marmot server to a State Library server on Thursday, December 15th and will be unavailable from 10am to noon on that day. What you need to know:
- The change will happen automatically; you will not need to resubscribe, and all archived messages from the “old” Libnet will still be available for viewing.
- The address for sending Libnet messages will change from email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please update your address books after noon on Thursday.
- Libnet’s information page will change from http://email.marmot.org/mailman/listinfo/libnet to
- The only noticeable change to Libnet after the move will be an enhancement: it will accept HTML formatted email messages (bold, different fonts, etc.).
Please direct any questions to Jim Duncan, Director of Networking & Resource Sharing at the Colorado State Library.
The State Library offered 6 interactive, informative youth services workshops in Rifle, Eagle, Pueblo, Englewood, Boulder, and Dolores in October and November. A total of 132 attendees (an unfortunately timed snowstorm near Pueblo lessened attendance) from 47 library jurisdictions came to learn about the 2012 summer reading program and early literacy, and to network with colleagues.
Kathy Barco, Children’s Librarian at the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Library System in New Mexico, presented the lively morning session highlighting the 2012 summer reading program theme of night time at all 6 sessions. Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL) members Jana Ackerman, Lisa Chipouras, Laura Baldassari-Hackstaff, Melissa Depper, and Becky Campbell offered informative, useful afternoon sessions on early literacy, including an overview of the newly revised Every Child Ready to Read program.
Handouts from the workshops are available, including Becky Campbell’s early literacy presentation. Continue reading ‘Fall Youth Services Workshops a Success!’