Register now for a FREE two-part workshop on Protecting Cultural Collections, available in both Fort Collins and Colorado Springs. Topics include disaster prevention, preparedness, response, and recovery.
Part 1: Prevention & Preparedness – 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Ft. Collins: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 – Colorado State University, Morgan Library
- Colorado Springs: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 – University of Colorado, Kraemer Family Library
Part 2: Response & Recovery – 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Ft. Collins: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 – Colorado State University, Morgan Library
- Colorado Springs: Thursday, July 28, 2011 – University of Colorado, Kraemer Family Library
Sponsored by: Western States & Territories Preservation Assistance Service (WESTPAS)
Instructor: Julie Page, Co-Coordinator, California Preservation Program and WESTPAS
The Protecting Cultural Collections workshops are presented in a 2-part sequence to produce the following outcomes for disaster preparedness activities:
- Complete a disaster response & collection salvage plan by the end of Part 2
- Learn how to train staff to implement your plan effectively
- Set pre- and post-disaster action priorities for your collections
- Understand practical decision-making skills needed during an emergency
- Experience salvage procedures for a wide variety of material including books, documents, photos & documents
The workshop days are scheduled 4 weeks apart. Participants will prepare short assignments prior to the first session; between sessions, they will undertake additional assignments resulting in a completed disaster plan at the end of Part 2. Upon completion, the institution will be invited to join an informal network of WESTPAS trained personnel to provide mutual aid in the event of emergencies involving collections in the region.
Who should attend: Administrators and staff responsible for emergency preparedness, response and decision-making, in all types of cultural institutions. By registering for the workshop, the institution commits to supporting the attendee(s) to achieve the workshop’s disaster preparedness goals. When possible, please send two attendees so they can work together on the disaster preparedness activities.
Cost: No charge to the institution. Funding provided by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Co-sponsored by the Colorado State Library.
Registration: Pre-registration required. Register online at http://tiny.cc/ZePOL.