Libraries. A place of endless possibilities. The heart of many stories.
Two people meet in nonfiction and fall in love. A boy finds salvation in his local library and becomes the first in his family to attend college. A suburban mother of four relies on the library’s expert reference service to start her own business, and later is named “Entrepreneur of the Year.”
Come visit the State Library’s booth at the CAL exhibit hall to share YOUR story! You can write it, type it, or tell it (we will have flip cameras). Read fantastic stories of your colleagues and celebrate the many ways libraries transform lives.
Need more reason? Submit YOUR story and become eligible to win one of these fabulous prizes!
State Library at CAL schedule (PDF)
Through a partnership with the American Library Association (ALA), Safeway Inc. is rolling out 5 Safeway-brand cereal boxes with back-panel content about libraries and librarians. The cereal is available at Safeway’s 1,500 U.S. stores across the U.S.
The panels focus on five content areas:
- Get rich @ your library lists free resources available at libraries and encourages readers to add up how much they save by using the library’s resources;
- Learn for a lifetime @ your library features the ways that school and public libraries encourage lifelong learning;
- Great mysteries answered @ your library contains fun facts about libraries, including the number of questions answered weekly by reference librarians at our nation’s academic and public libraries;
- Discover the world @ your library positions a library card as a passport to the world; and
- Discover your family tree @ your library encourages readers to go to the library to research their family tree.
Visit the I Love Libraries site for more information.
The Colorado State Library will have a variety of pre-conferences and workshops at the 2009 CAL Conference. Don’t forget to stop by our booth on Friday and Saturday in the Exhibits Area. We would love to:
- * Share with you the latest services and resources we can offer Colorado libraries
- * Hear how libraries have transformed your lives
CSL at CAL 2009 – Schedule (PDF)
The Library Research Service is proud to announce the release of our most recent Closer Look Report, “U.S. Public Libraries and the Use of Web Technologies.” In the spring of 2008, we visited the websites of nearly 600 public libraries in the United States, including all Colorado public libraries, looking for the presence of web technologies, including those identified as “Web 2.0”. This report details our findings about what public libraries are doing on the web, and the characteristics that “early adopters” share.
Find the report, and a Colorado-specific Fast Facts report, on the report page: http://www.lrs.org/public/webtech
Library Consortium Summit planning committee seeks proposals for presentation and poster sessions for the fourth CALC Summit. The Summit will be held at the Sheraton Denver West Hotel (6th Ave & Union) on May 20-21, 2010.
Collaborate Like You Mean It!
We’ve all heard that collaboration is important, but how can academic libraries forge lasting, effective partnerships both within and outside their institutions? What makes some partnerships succeed, and others fail?
Continue reading ‘Call for Presentations’